Wednesday 10 December 2014

How I benched 315 by first time benching (it's not genetics)

The first time I ever benched properly a few months ago, I was messing around with 225lbs and a thought i may as well try doing 315, with a spotter of course. And I got the rep! It looked ugly as hell. My arch collapsed, no scapular retraction, no leg drive, who knows what I could have done if my technique and tension was on point.

But keep this in mind it wasn't the first time I had worked out. Before this, all my upper pushing work consisted of push up and dip variations. When it comes to calisthenics and gymnastics, I have barely entered the intermediate level relative to some of those monster gymnasts out there, who knows what they can do.

What I am trying to say is there it is possible to climb through the open window into the house of great pressing strength. If you want a big bench, benching is important, but here are a few reasons why I think you should add high volume calisthenics into your program:
  • Most pressing exercises can be done anywhere, so when traveling or can't get to the gym, you can still work on your pressing strength
  • It will build up your work capacity so you can train harder, for longer.
  • If done smartly, it won't impede your recovery.
  • If you pick your exercises correctly, it will make you hella strong. 
One program I recommend would be the 100 push up program for any level of strength, it teaches you to follow a program through and be patient which is so important if you want to get anywhere in life, it will improve elbow conditioning and give you great endurance and work capacity.

Here are a bunch of exercises that you can use to increase your bench:

Beginner exercises 

  • Push ups and it's variations
  • Tricep dips
  • Straight bar dips
  • Handstand holds against a wall
  • Planche leans
  • Plyometric push ups
'Advanced' exercises

  • Planche variation holds
  • Planche variation push ups
  • Freestanding handstand holds
  • Handstand push ups, freestanding and against a wall
  • Handstand push ups with a close grip
  • Handstand push ups with one hand elevated
  • Full ROM handstand push ups
  • Tricep blasters
  • Ring dips
  • One arm handstand holds against wall
  • Weighted dips

Hope this helps
Enjoy the gains
Alex



No comments:

Post a Comment