Sunday 16 November 2014

jumping pistols - effective exercise, easy to get wrong

I have a squat set up outside, but since it has been raining heavily, I cannot use it. So I have been looking for ways to maintain/ improve my explosive leg strength. I tried to use jumping pistols a while a go, but realized, when looking at videos online, people just did a pistol with a hop at the end, not very effective.

Although it may seem like an ineffective exercise, if you really try to explode up from the bottom of the pistol, for a set of 5, you will feel your legs working. I guess it's similar to speed training.

At first, you will push with all your strength, and still be really slow through the bottom half and explode on the top, but with practice, you will get better at it. The idea is, if your max squat is 400 lbs, you push up from the bottom, like you are squatting 400 lbs.

I am going to experiment with this and see how it effects my leg strength and my vertical jump.

Hope this helps,
enjoy the gains
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment